Sunday 14 July 2013

Book review - Colin Fischer by Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz

In my research about Asperger's and how others see it, I begun to read books/ebooks, both fiction and non-fiction, about children with Asperger's/autism. One of the ebooks I have read is Colin Fischer about a teenage boy with Asperger's who solves a mystery at his school. I jotted down notes on similarities between Colin and myself, and here are my notes.

School subjects - when Colin works on a school topic he really goes into it and does research. I did this at school. One topic I remember doing was about sealife world. I wrote lots about it and even stuck in little cards with pictures of sealife to show the subject more.

Another thing was Colin hates PE. I did, too. I was always the last one to be picked in a team and I never was able to catch a ball.

Colin is picked on at school for being different. I was too. Spoiler alert. At the end of the book, he has made friends with one of his bullies. This can be said the same with me. A girl at school, esp in history, always threw things at me when she sat behind me. She later apologised to me, and is now my one and only friend I have I still see.

I like reading these books, as it tells me how others see what children with Asperger's/autism are like. From what I've read so far, it is accurate. So well done, Ashley and Zack.

Have you read any books featuring children or adults with Asperger's or autism? Let me know if you have and what you thought of them. I have a few others I have read and will review on here.

No comments: