Wednesday 24 June 2009

My library talk


Well, I had my first library talk and how did it go? I think it went quite well, although I feel that I did bore the school girls a bit. I had an audience of 4 school girls, the library youth worker and 2 female police officers and the man working on a laptop behind them. I think the girls were more interested in the fat causing strokes side of my talk, so that is what I will concentrate on more when I do another talk. Although I didn't get to sell any books, no one had money on them, I gave out my free dried fruit anyway, as well as my bookmarks and postcards. After the talk I answered a couple of questions and we got chatting about strokes and healthy eating, which I found went better than the talk. The library worker is Afro Carribean and she said that a couple of her relatives have had strokes and she has found she's got high cholesterol so has had to relook at her diet. I told her that I'd read that people of her background are at higher risk of strokes and that. I am pleased that I did the talk as it was good experience, and I now know what I can improve on and what I need to talk about more. I would like to do more library events but think I will gear them to more question and answers and general discussion about writing and healthy eating as I felt that went better than the talk. I will be visiting another library this weekend to see if they can promote my book and maybe get something there.

Now to get working on my 3rd book.

2 comments:

Nell Dixon said...

Library talks are always interesting as you never know who will turn up - I find getting people to ask lots of questions always makes it flow better. Congratulations! It's a bit scary when you do you're first one (actually I get scared everytime shhh)

Julie Day said...

Thanks for the congrats Nell. It was rather scary. I didn't think anyone would turn up but the library youth worker introduced herself and said she'd get some teens to come over, which she did. Then the police officers arrived and I went 'Ooh." It did go better when everyone participated so will focus on that aspect for next time.