Friday 2 November 2012

Sugar and slumps - Is it true?

You've probably heard or read that sugar and refined carbs can give you a quick high then an even faster slump, but is it true. I can confirm, from personal experience, that it is. The other week I had a couple of rows of dark chocolate and two chocolate coated rice cakes in a space of a few hours. I was fine that day. But I then had the same the following day, and what made it worse was I was tired. Shortly after having the chocolate, I started to feel down and lethargic, and didn't want to do anything except lie down. My mum said that I should have paced the sugar intake, and thought I was feeling that way. I ended up lying down for a short while. After that I felt a lot better and more with it. So, now I am being careful with what sugar and refined carbs I have, and not have too much in one day, esp if I feel tired, too.

It made me recall that it wasn't the first time I have had this. I remember a few Xmas' ago, when I used to eat lots of biscuits, chocolates and other refinded carbs, I used to feel so lethargic that all I wanted to do was go to bed in the afternoon. I used to get really frustrated with this, as I wanted to do my writing instead.

So, yes, it is true that sugar can give you a quick high and an even faster slump. Believe me, you do not want it to happen to you. You can't do much at the time.

Have any of you out there had this slump like I have? Let me know if you have, and how you overcame it. Be interested to know.

No comments: