Monday 19 February 2024

Childhood heart memories for Heart Awareness Month

 As mentioned in my last post it is Heart Awareness Month and I have been posting on social media all about heart health. I have also been posting bits about my memories of being a child with heart problems. Here is what I have been doing.

So I had a heart defect from birth. How did it affect me as a child? It made me physically slower than others. I remember when we played rounders at primary school (anyone else remember that?). I never used to be able to run past the first base. If I did, then I would stop, then run to the next point.

When I was at secondary school I was always one of the last to be chosen for team sports. I always knew that it was because I was quieter and slower than the others. I hated netball if I was in the team. Was anyone else the last to be chosen for team sports?

Another time I remember about being at secondary school with my then heart condition was a sports day. The rest of the school had to walk to the sports field, which was quite near the school but because of my heart condition I couldn't walk too far or fast so I was given permission to get a bus with a few others. Of course, the bus was late, so we were late. I think that when we got there we didn't know where to go either. When we finally found our school and class, the sports events had already started.


Do any of these relate to you, at all? Let me know either on the comments or find me on FB.


No comments: