Sunday 14 April 2024

What does autism mean for you?

I thought I'd ask this question because something a cab driver said to me about autism on Wednesday made me think, what do others think autism is. This is what was said (not exact words):

I had told him where I was going and he asked me what was happening at the church. I replied that it was an autism family day for autism families organised by an autism charity.

The driver said something in the line of 'oh, autism can be funny with their routines and that. I drive a boy to school.'

When he said that, I thought, Mmm...

So I said, “Yes, we can be like that.”

He then said, “Oh, are you autistic?”

“Yes, I have Asperger's.” I then tried to explain to him why we like routines. I said it was to do with familiarity and the brain. If we were to go to a different place, our brains would get confused and we would have trouble transitioning from one place to another.

I think he apologised when I said I have Asperger's.

I hope that is what routine means to other autistics. Please let me know if this rings a bell with you. What does autism mean for you?

No comments: