Saturday 18 June 2022

Aspies and change

One thing that people with Asperger's find hard to cope with is change. Well, I certainly went through a lot of that last year when I went into hospital. That was the first major change to my life. I think it helped me because I knew in advance (the day before) that I was going in, and I knew that I had to go as it would help me and my health. Then came more change as I went from one hospital to another to find out what was wrong with me. Again I knew it was to help find out what was wrong with me. I somehow managed to cope with all of that change until there was one change too many for me. I have described it my memoir like this

 I went from the quiet of ICU to the noise, lights and busyness of Doulton High Dependency Unit. The contrast was amazing. One thing us Aspies do find hard to cope with is change. This change was hard for me. I had coped well with going into hospital, then from one hospital to another and another, but this was something else. I think now it was that plus being in a strange environment that made me unable to sleep for three nights.

Once I got used to the routines and everything happening to me in that ward, I calmed down.

There was more change to come when I got home, and then Mum came home too. I shall tell you about that in the next post.



No comments: