Wednesday 15 September 2021

An Aspie in hospital - routine

One thing we Aspies like is routine. I certainly do. So when I went into hospital, that went out of the window, as they say. But...they do have their own routines, which in their way did help me cope.

Meals – The meals all were dished up at certain times of the day. If they were late, which sometimes they were, and I got hungry (hangry), then I'd be angry. At least I knew what time of the day it was. The meals I had is another post as I have various food intolerances.

Medications – This was one routine I had to get used to and accept. I had my own routine, especially with the two tablets for my IBS. I always took them as it said on the boxes; before a meal. Did that happen there? Nope. They had their own system, plus they had to order one of them in. I even had a go at one nurse about this and she had a go at me. (I wasn't the only patient to have a go at this nurse – she was an agency nurse not a ward nurse). That is another story. I came to accept the new routine but one thing I hated, or it annoyed me, was to be woken up at 10pm with 'Julie, time for your medication.' Hmm.... Grr.... And especially when I was about to get to sleep. This was the same for what they call Obs (observations) such as taking blood pressure and temperature. Another way I knew what time it was.

Nurse shifts – 8am and 8pm. This was the routine at most hospitals, especially in the High Dependency Unit at St Thomas's. When the changeover happened, I knew it was eight in the morning or night.

Lights out – When the lights either went on or out, I knew what time of the day it was. I could wind down in the evening, knowing I was about to sleep for the night. (Sleeping in hospital is yet another post).

All these routines helped me to cope being in what was a strange environment for me, especially in lockdown, and no one could visit me.

I am currently writing my memoir about my journey with endocarditis, including my hospital stays.

No comments: