Saturday 15 May 2021

Writer's block or something else?

 Now that I am back to writing short children's fiction again, I got thinking about the book I was trying to rewrite last year and got stuck on half way through. Was it writer's block or something else? I had plotted it out chapter by chapter but still got stuck. I decided to leave it and concentrate on another book I was writing because of my health issues back then. After reading lots of children's books (for research) I have come to the conclusion it wasn't writer's block that stopped me but maybe I had made the plot too long and complicated. I was adding different things to it about eating healthily and what food intolerances can do along with magic but maybe now I just need to think of simpler things to put in it. I will go back to working on that story again but probably not this year, maybe next year. I want to concentrate on the new series I am writing now, which I am enjoying doing. 

So, if you are getting stuck with your wip, then have a think about it? Is the plot too long? Too complicated? If you find it complicated, so will the reader. Can you make it simpler? I am going to try when I get back to it.

In the meantime, have fun writing whatever you are on.



1 comment:

Patsy said...

I have a novel I've been working on, on and off for years. I don't think there's just one thing hampering my progress, but I will look at the overall plot to see if changes there might help.