Monday 3 May 2021

Why I love being an indie author

 I am sorry I haven't been on here these past few months, but if you know me on Facebook you will know why. For those who aren't, then the short story is that my health took a bad turn and I had to go into hospital. I had to have major heart surgery to replace a heart valve and a pacemaker fitted. I was in for nearly 8 weeks. I came home to an empty house because while I was in hospital, my mum had a fall and ended up in another hospital herself. She is back home now but bed bound with carers coming in to do her personal care and meals four times a day. I am still recovering but back to writing as an indie author. One of the reasons I love being an indie author is you are only accountable to yourself and when something happens like the above and you can't write, then it is a relief. 

Apart from a couple of ideas for short stories I jotted down pre-surgery, I didn't do any writing. I couldn't. It took so much effort to recover and get moving by myself again. It was only when I was home and after a couple of weeks when I read writing magazines that I thought about writing. Before I went into hospital I was half way through writing a cozy mystery but I didn't fancy writing that. I started reading children's books and decided that I wanted to write something new like that. I already had a few ideas jotted down. One came to me but it was all muddled in my mind. Then I saw a second idea and it jumped out at me. This is what I am now writing. A new series for 7-9s. I am enjoying writing again.

A reason I love being an indie author, you can write what you want and when. Imagine what might have happened if I was under a traditional publisher and writing that book... I will go back to working on the mystery some time but I am having fun writing for children, esp when the characters have Asperger's. It is under my 'autism meets magical realism' brand and 'learn about autism' umbrella.

Enjoy what you are writing and have fun with it.

No comments: